HomeLeague Chat

Where rivalries begin and end.

Rules be damned? Messages in this topic - RSS

graykat777
graykat777
10/28/2012
graykat777
graykat777
During our most previous league match, my opponent took a time out. Then my opponent conversed with another player (away from the table), then another. Timeouts last 30 seconds, but this timeout was much longer. When I pleaded for the match to continue one of the other players (not playing that evening) momentarily got angry and shouted "You are calling rules?!"

My question is this: Do you, as a league member, believe that the standard rules of foosball play (and sportsmanship) are distinctly different than rules of league play?

I can see if somebody need to go the bathroom, calls time and takes a little longer. Or if they get an emergency phone call, but my tolerance does not include calling time to get another drink, or to have a smoke or to talk with friends. Your tolerance should not either.

Please don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the relaxed attitude at the league events. Some libation, some music playing, jokes and light conversation. But I understand that the rules of foos have been created to keep the games (which can be intense) fair. To keep the game fair each player must observe the rules. Rules are not created to make your life harder or to make the game one-sided. But it certainly feel like it if you, or more likely your opponents, do not abide by them.

Thinking that rules are to be stretched or dismissed can lead to fights, which lends a social blow to our game, but it also leads to misunderstandings that can fester and flair at the most inopportune time. When we fight among ourselves in public our sport will maintain the reputation of being rough and crass. This reputation will keep newcomers from joining in or spectating or encouraging others to pay any attention to us, to the game, to the sport.

Rules rule! Follow them and expect your opponents to call you on your mistakes and oversights. Feel free to call rules on yourself and be ready to explain them to the newer players.

rules: http://table-soccer.org/rules/documents/ITSFRulesEnglish.pdf

Thanks for reading this. I invite comments.
<em>edited by graykat777 on 10/28/2012</em>

--
Casey Nelson            Phoenix, AZ       Foosball       Tornado
+1 link
Jesse Rhode
Jesse Rhode
Administrator
1/18/2015
Jesse Rhode
Jesse Rhode
Administrator
Casey,

You are absolutely correct in this matter. Once a match starts, the adherence to the rules is highly important in order to improve. Sure, there are times that issues come up that all of us can understand and leeway is granted. However, timeouts are a crucial aspect of the game. The importance of them is often overlooked by many players. When to call them, why, and what the rule actually is are HIGHLY critical skills to learn and utilize.

It is well known that some players play much faster than others. This is an aspect of their game that often works towards that players advantage. I, for example, play fast. When I do so, and when I'm on a roll, a smart opposing team may call timeouts just to throw me out of my rhythm. At the same time, and in consideration of this fact, I am often highly cognizant of the time being taken away from me and pay attention to the 30 second rule. "They" called the timeout to cool me off, but I am not going to simply allow "them" to wallow around past the 30 second rule while they strategize. Well, to be perfectly honest, I usually give it 60 seconds prior to saying anything since 30 seconds seems awful short for a timeout (just my opinion).

On the other hand, there are players that simply play slow and methodical. This is one of them situations that is difficult for players such as myself. And, to clarify, I firmly believe there is nothing wrong with this style of play as it is extremely effective against fast players. However, when this occurs, I tend to pay extra attention to the timeout rule as the juxtaposition of play styles becomes highly relevant to the eventual winner.

Look, it is really quite simple. Even in league, everyone should be doing their utmost to follow the rules. This is the ONLY way to improve all aspects of ones game. That being said, no one needs to be an asshole about it. But, if someone starts calling rules, then ALL rules should come into effect from that point forward. Pull out a smartphone, have one player from each team managing the device, and let the games commence. If there is a mentoring situation, then explain what is occurring as it happens while maintaining adherence to the rules as much as possible.

I don't know whom you played Casey. Nor do I know if what you are saying could be seen in a different light by your opponents in this particular situation. But, once issues concerning rules are brought up in a contentious manner, then it becomes paramount for all parties involved to find the most effective method to diffuse the situation. And, in my opinion, the most effective means to address the situation is to abide by all rules from that point forward in a joint manner.

Jesse
edited by JRhode on 1/18/2015
0 link